Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sleep


Sleep is a fascinating concept to me regardless of whether you believe in God or macro evolution. Think about it. Everyday most mammals require sleep once a day. Not moving, with eyes closed. Imagine aliens from a different planet that never slept coming to earth to learn that we have to shut down and sleep 5-9 hours a day not doing anything but taking up space. I am sure their plan of attack would be for it to happen at night. And then all of the world would rest on my shoulders. (You will see why later)
Why did God (or why is this a common event in evolution?) decide to do this? God could have made us up all the time. He has the power to make us regenerate in ways that we use sleep for during our waking hours, doesn’t He? Or why would a single celled organism eventually work sleep into its DNA in most of the planets animals? I wish I didn’t need to sleep. I work the graveyard shift at work (AKA your savior) and have for about a year now. I sleep during the day. I am normal for the most part, but there are a few side effects. Every time I go outside I hiss like a cat and squint like a near blind man. In day light I run from building to car to building like I might catch skin cancer if it takes longer than 32 seconds. I try my best to sleep at least 7 hours a day, but sometimes things come up and I sleep very little to not at all in-between shifts. I end up being so grumpy at work that I make Grumpy from the 7 dwarfs look like Rachael Ray. Then there is the problem of eating. Your body has a hard time deciding when it wants to eat. My stomach is so fickle I think it is related to a Charger fan. Sometimes I eat like there is no tomorrow, but then again I am always so confused as to when the day started and when it ended that I end up eating for both today and tomorrow just to be safe. Other times I will go days without eating more than a meal or two. If I am not careful I will end up being so skinny I could fax myself places. There are advantages. For one, I can move my schedule around without having to take a day off of work very easily. Dentist appointment at 11am, no problem. Late lunch at 2pm, I will be there. Bank robbery at 4:45pm, I will keep the van running. It’s great. As long as I can get some sleep in there I am fine. That is very hard though. Sometimes I want to do all three in the same day. That happens at least once a week it seems. If I could just remove the need for sleep I would be ecstatic. There has got to be some way for scientists to figure that one out. (And no Crack is not a viable option…it’s too expensive, Jk) I guess that is just one more thing to look forward to in Heaven…the lack of a need for sleep, not crack. If you don’t believe in heaven you always have eternal death to look forward to, from your perspective and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment